Friday, March 11, 2016

When the Answer Is No

Being a christian is not about getting what we want, when we want it.  We don't accept the free gift of salvation so that we can use God like a genie in a bottle, rubbing it and making our wish, thinking what we ask for we will get.  It doesn't work that way.

Sometimes I pray, asking God for the thing I want and His reply is, "No, my girl. Just trust me."

That's what faith is.  Trusting God in all things.  Not just some of the things...the things that go our way.  But even in the hard things.  When we don't understand.  When we can't make a bit of sense out of it.  We still desire His will and His plan more.

I've had a disappointment this week.  Things didn't go the way I had hoped.  I'm sad and heart broken.  My good, good Father is compassionate.  He is grieving with me.  Think about this...

Lazarus died.  His sisters, Mary and Martha were heart broken.  Jesus finally shows up after they had tried to get him there before Lazarus died.  They knew that Jesus could have healed him.  Jesus had another plan.

When Jesus saw the sisters weeping, he wept.  "Jesus wept."  This, probably the shortest verse in scripture, says so much about the character of our Lord.

Why did he weep?

It wasn't because he had lost a friend who he loved dearly.  He knew all along that He was going to raise Lazarus from the dead.

"This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it." John 11:4

"Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up." John 11:11

Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." John 11:23

He wept out of compassion.  He wept because those he loved wept.

He weeps with you.  He weeps with me.  But he has a plan.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

To know God is to love Him.  To love Him is to trust Him.  In all things.

So today I'm counting my blessings and they are many...


Yesterday morning I had decided to just stay in bed, pull the covers up over my head and have my own "pity party" as my daddy would say.  But then, through the monitor I hear a little voice calling for me and I knew I was needed.  I got myself up, made two sippy cups of milk and turned Mickey on.  Then I roused two big boys out of bed and continued to do the things mamas and daddys do.

I was thankful.  Thankful for all four of them.  Without even knowing it they kept me from feeling sorry for myself.  They reminded me how blessed I truly am.

No comments:

Post a Comment