Monday, April 20, 2015

Saying Goodbye

So our foster journey has changed...

Almost two weeks ago, our two Littles left our home.  After seven months with these precious babies, we said goodbye.  It has been an adjustment and our hearts are sad, but there is a very good side to this story because God has been so good in the whole situation. 

Let me tell you all about it…

(First I need to say that I want to share as much of our story and our experiences as possible without sharing too much of the Littles' story. My prayer is that one day they will share their own stories and give God all the honor in doing so.)

Over the past months, we were asked several times if given the opportunity, would we be willing to adopt.  We always replied that we would consider it but never a definite yes.  We never felt at peace with saying yes for sure.  Although we love them (and always will) and knew that they would have a home with us as long as needed, we didn’t feel released to say yes to forever.

This bothered me badly (putting it mildly) for a long time.  I couldn’t say yes, but I couldn’t let these precious little people go somewhere that I didn’t know, without doubt, that they would be loved, safe and most importantly taught about the Lord.

I was letting this internal struggle torture me.  Let me tell you, this wasn’t good for me or anyone in our home. 

One morning on the way to work, I began to pray about it.  Serious prayer with my Father because I couldn’t carry the burden any longer.  

Enter peace that passes all understanding…

Goodness I’m stubborn.  I could have just given it to God in the beginning.  And you know what?  I told myself that I had, but I hadn’t. Not really.  God is good and I thank him for His patience with this stubborn chick. ;)

It is here that I need to interject another side to this story.  Our two Littles have an older sister.  She’s five and she’s precious.  She was (and still is) placed in a local foster home only a short distance from our home. 

Over the months we had developed a relationship with her foster parents who are dear, Godly people.  It was a blessing to walk the crazy journey that is foster care alongside them.  We were often able to pray for each other and encourage one another. 

They said yes to adopting big sister if given the opportunity and after some time God began to deal with them about adopting all three siblings.  That part is their story to tell but I’ll tell you it was pretty awesome the way God orchestrated. 

So about a week after my surrendering the situation to God, the other foster mom was having her own struggle.  After much prayer and confirmation from God, they decided they would be willing to adopt all three kiddos but didn’t know exactly where we stood on our end.  They didn’t want to hurt us and were just generally struggling with how to talk with us about it.

I was out of town for work and she called me.  She said she had to talk with me and began to tell me how God was leading them and how they don’t want to hurt us at all.  As she talked, I began to cry silent tears.  God was taking care of the situation in a way I least expected.

After she finished talking, I told her how this was an answer to prayer and she began to cry.  I had church with this sweet friend standing in the hallway of the hotel.  We were both astounded at the goodness of God.

Later she told me how terrified she was to have this conversation with me and how bathed in prayer it was before she even picked up the phone. 

Oh let me tell you, our God is good!

Very soon after, it was decided that it was best to go ahead and place all three kids in the other foster home.  So we spent about two months with the kids having visits with their new family to allow for an adjustment period. 

Then just before the kids moved, we had the privilege of taking them to Disney for Spring Break.  This was a special week for me, Roddy and our boys. 




Now they are in their new home and although the journey isn’t over, we know we can trust God to continue to work things out for all of our good.  They are doing well and adjusting fabulously.  I get pictures of the kids from my dear friend every day and I can’t even began to say what a blessing that is.  We are so blessed to be able to continue to be a part of their lives as aunt and uncle and can’t wait to see what God has for their future.

Saying goodbye has been hard.  But, we are so fortunate that this isn't the typical foster goodbye because it's not goodbye forever.  It's very hard to explain the emotions but this I do know...

Where joy and sadness meet, God is there also!

No comments:

Post a Comment