Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thankful Thursday - An Update

Today, on Thankful Thursday is a random thankful list/update on our lives.

Number One:
I’m thankful that the last day of school for our boys is tomorrow.  Yay!  Trash the books and put away the school uniforms for a couple of months. 

Summer, for us, means a less stressful schedule.  No homework, no lunches to pack and no strict bed time. 

Rod and I still work and the boys just go from staying with my parents to being dropped off at work with their daddy in the mornings, but it still is a season to be thankful for indeed.

Number Two:
I’m also thankful to be a parent.  Sometimes parenting teaches me as much as, I pray, I’m teaching our kids.  We faced a different parenting struggle this week that shook me up a bit. 

But what I kept thinking is how I felt about the poor choice my kid made.  It gave me a little insight into what my Heavenly Father may feel when I make poor choices and do things that are so displeasing to Him. 

Then I thought about grace.  Amazing grace!  Freely given.  Never earned.  How unworthy I am.  Praise the Lord, He didn’t just write me off years ago.  I heard someone say, “He’s no longer mad at me!”  That’s the truth!  Because of the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, my sins our forgiven and He isn’t mad at me.

We told our son this.  We used the situation as a way to show him grace, hopefully helping him to understand God’s grace better.

This parenting thing is hard!  I’m so thankful I’m not doing it alone.

Number Three:
After little boy and little girl left our home, we took about a month off from fostering to spend time as a family of four and just take a break from the rigors that is foster parenting.  You guys, it’s not as simple as just taking care of children (although that alone is not always so simple).  There are visits to our home, bio parent visits, required doctor appointments and the list goes on.

We’ve been waiting almost three weeks now for a foster placement call.  We’ve heard nothing, which is odd. So our month break is turning into two months. 

I’m thankful that God is in control and when the time is right we will get another placement.  I’m thankful that we can rest in knowing that we can help whoever, whenever they come into our home by God’s grace and through the leading of Holy Spirit.


Number Four:
One last thing…I’m thankful that a small vacation is coming up for us!  Woohoo!!


No comments:

Post a Comment